Thursday, December 6, 2012

Templetown!

Hey I haven't posted anything on this blog in a long time but doesn't mean I'm dropping it. It's here to stay, I always intended this blog to be a place on the net that would keep my favorite ballplayers legacy available for all to enjoy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when I was a kid growing up and first started to follow MLB, Garry had just started his career with the Cardinals and his amazing skills, spectacular defensive game and flashy overall personality just burned a deep imprint in my kids impressionable mind. Just something about the way he moved, the way he looked playing the game, some kind of gracious easiness about him, he had this lean yet muscular body, perfect proportions, balance between power and suppleness that gave him the agility and grace of a panther.
I've been following pro baseball for nearly 40 years and I've seen some superb athletes, incredible talents, all-star players and HOFmers, but none ever moved and looked as cool as Garry.

Speaking of cool, I just came across this pic that his son Garry II posted on his Facebook page, Garry sitting in Templetown, the section of seats he had purchased for underprivileged kids in St Louis' Busch Stadium in 1980.
Jumpsteady looking as cool as ever with his shades, funky 'fro and flashy jacket, looking like he's about to jam with Parliament Funkadelic lol!
Well there you have it, the man was gifted but had a heart to give back to the less fortunate. Many people in St-Louis remember him positively, both for his great skills and generosity.

4 comments:

  1. I used to be a leader for a day camp for underprivileged children. We were fortunate enough to receive Templetown tickets for our group and had a very nice evening at Busch Stadium. In an ironic twist of history, the Cards were playing the Padres that night. It was the first time I had ever seen Ozzie Smith. I was sitting there in Garry's seats and watching the most impressive fielding shortstop in the game, Ozzie, with amazement. At the time Garry was a better all around player because he could reliably hit, but it was clear that he had reached his peak with an attitude that did not fit with the team concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Played golf with G.T. today good golfer & a good man!! Classy & humble. Big hitter/player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know Tempy is still swingin' and hittin'! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Thanks in favor of sharing such a good opinion, post is pleasant, thats why i have read it fully

    ReplyDelete